Saturday, February 17, 2007

What a week!!

Funny how my last post was the day before my week went all sideways! And let me tell you, it's not better yet!




Wednesday morning started off OK. Nathan was still sick, but it was an exciting morning because Kyle had his first day of preschool. Since I'm not going back to work, we wanted to get him in ASAP. And as it turned out, it was Valentine's Day. He was quite excited about going and I took these pictures of him. He wasn't worried about me leaving or anything and both the teachers said he had a great day. He did some crafts and they had circle time and a snack break. 2 hours of pure fun for him I'm sure.

However, it was after he got home that things got worse and haven't really improved! Kyle started feeling not so great after lunch on Wednesday after coming home from school. Apparently the teacher said that he told her he had a cold, but I certainly didn't know that or I wouldn't have sent him. My mid-afternoon his temperature was up and hasn't actually come down since. Well, it's come down and then gone back up again.

Wednesday night, he was coughing and having a little trouble with breathing only in the sense that it was quite fast, so that in combination with the temperature made me call the nurses line that we have here just to see what I should do and what I should be looking for. After a ton of questions, she said I needed to take him to emergency (since it was about 11:30pm)! So, I packed him up and off we went for our first emergency trip (though not our last!). We got there and got him registered and in quite quickly. The doctor saw him and said it was viral and that there was nothing he could give him and that we'd just have to ride it out. Off we went home again.

Thursday was not a great day either. His temp was up and down and he hadn't been eating much though I was making sure he was drinking water and water/juice, so he didn't get dehydrated. Not much change, so onto Friday. Well, if this is any indication, I called George when he was off work to make sure he was coming straight home! The pair of them were just not good at all! Nathan was cranky and didn't want to sleep, but didn't know what he wanted. Kyle still has his temp up and down and was just generally not a happy boy.

We checked his temp about 5:30 again and it was up to 39.7 degrees. Well, the nurse at the nurse's line told me that if it got over 39.5, that he should be seen by someone. So, we packed the kids in the car thinking that we'd go to the clinic and get the Dr to check both of them out. Well, after trying 4 clinics and having them all closed, we were left with no choice, but to go back to emergency. I didn't want to, but if it meant that I saved Kyle from something nasty, I was going to do it since I'd tried the clinics without any luck.

Once again, we got him all registered and in and out within an hour I think. The doctor had another look and said that it still looked viral, so they wouldn't give him anything/ He said that the temperature was good as long as it was just working whatever he had out of his system and as long as it doesn't go on for too long. So now, the thing is just that we need to take him back if the temperature still hasn't come down by Monday morning. I just feel so bad because it's up again tonight and he's miserable, but the only thing I can do is give him the Tylenol and put a cool cloth on his forehead. I also rubbed his forehead for a while the way I remember mu used to when I was sick because I always liked it.

Nathan had been sick and is still sick actually. We now need to take him back to the doctor because he has green gunk in the corners of his eyes along with everything else, but at least his temperature hasn't been up for ages! George tried to get him in to see the doctor today since I was working, but Nathan (and no doubt George and Kyle for that matter) was miserable and George felt like he just couldn't wait as long as he'd need to to see the doctor, so we'll have to try again tomorrow if it's not better.

So, we'll see how it goes over the next day or two, but the trips to see the doctor might not be over yet. I'll be soooooo happy when we can get rid of this bug. I have to say that this isn't one of the things you think of when you think about having kids. Like I said to mum tonight though, I still have to be thankful that there isn't any vomiting going on!!

So, we have another day at home for all of us and let's hope it's a better one! It'll be nice to nejoy some time together as a family once this is all over and done with.

1 comment:

Joƫlle said...

Tough week, indeed!

I hope the boys are feeling better today.

I'm sure Kyle is looking forward to going back to preschool, too!