Sunday, November 11, 2007

Memories of Remembrance Day



I was 15 and a Pathfinder and had been asked to recite "In Flanders Fields" in the cemetery as part of a Remembrance Day ceremony. It's one of the hardest things I've had to do.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


As I started to read, there was a total silence that engulfed me and since I knew the poem inside out, my mind wandered. This was the first time since Grandpa died that I had been here - to this place where he was buried. I missed him so much. I had gone to the service after he passed, but hadn't been to the cemetery and it was at this moment, as I was reading, that a lot of that really hit me. I'm honestly not sure how I managed to finish without completely losing it.

A very emotional day for a 15 year old girl...
Take a moment to remember today in your own way.

Colleen

6 comments:

Sarah Coggins said...

Colleen, what a beautiful poem and moving memory. Thank for you for sharing. I hope you are enjoying happy thoughts today of times with your grandfather and other loved ones whom have passed.

~Sarah

Staci said...

What a truly moving poem! Thanks for sharing it!

Tina said...

That poem makes me cry when I hear/read it - it's SO moving. Thank you for posting it today...

Kimberly said...

So touching! Yes, today is a day to remember...Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem. Yes, I can see how emotional that would be for a 15 year old girl. You did well, I know I couldn't have made it through without bawling. I wish you the memories of good times, they bring us so much closer to our loved ones.

Maureen said...

Wow, very touching.