Sunday, November 30, 2008
Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends. Okay, here's what you're supposed to do, and try not to be a SCROOGE!!! Just copy this and paste into your blog. Change all the answers so that they apply to you. Then send this to a whole bunch of people you know, INCLUDING the person that sent it to you.......
'Tis the Season to be NICE!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? wrapped
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial since we were in the condo and weren't allowed a real tree though I'd love one again! I liked just going to the tree farm as a kid and picking out the tree!
3. When do you put up the tree? The first week or so or December
4. When do you take the tree down? New Year's Day
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes, but not too much. Love me some Eggnog Latte!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? a 3 story Barbie house with an elevator!
7. Hardest person to buy for? my dad
8. Easiest person to buy for? my sister generally
9. Do you have a nativity scene? No
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail for sure
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Hmmm...can't think of anything horrbile off the top of my head though DH did misunderstand the stocking thing last year and thought the two of us weren't doing it, but he was WRONG! Had to fill my own!
12.Favorite Christmas Movie? National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? November
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Never
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Maybe Christmas cookies
16. Lights on the tree? Red
17. Favorite Christmas song? "Do They Know It's Christmas" - Band-Aid
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Home in the morning and my aunt and uncle's for dinner usually.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? yes
20. Tree-top angel or star? Star
21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? the unpleasant people - agree with Darlene!
23. Favorite Ornament theme or color? Blue, white and silver
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Candied yams and mashed potatoes with gravy!
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A new camera for sure!!
26. Who is likely to respond to this? Good question, but I can't wait to find out!
Saturday, November 29, 2008
I did a card for the Card Sketch a Day Blog and you can check out the sketch there!
I got to sleep in this morning and I took full advantage! I did have to work today, but not until 1, so it was a relaxing morning. I spent the afternoon at work and did a couple of things there for a class afterwards. Came home and had dinner and then we all went for a drive to check out some of the Christmas lights around here. And, yes, we're really looking and Christmas lights already; the boys love them!
Well, better think about getting some sleep here since I'm up whenever the boys are in the morning and it's always early these days!
Friday, November 28, 2008
I can't believe that this picture was taken almost a year ago now. My friend, Julie, (who's in the middle) was up with her husband, Simon, and their boys: Alex and Rhys. And when I mean up, I mean up from Australia! We had a fabulous visit and even managed a coffee night with another friend, Sandi. A great girls night out with lots of laughs and catching up.
How times change though! When we were in Hawaii for Julie's wedding, I was single and none of us had kids! Now we're all married and all have a couple of kids! I'm thankful for good friends and the chance to see each other! Now if only I can manage to get down there!
Miss ya Jules!
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Well, I was lucky enough to receive this not once, but twice! Sarah and Kim were nice enough to leave me a little love with this award, so I'm going to pass it on as well! I could easily list the people they did again, but I'm going to try and pass it along to a few people that maybe haven't gotten it yet!
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Supplies: Cardstock is WorldWin DoubleMates. Patterned paper is My Mind's Eye and Crate Paper. Misc flat top eyelets. Rub-ons are Creative Cafe from Creative Imaginations. Misc leaf punches. Stamp is from Autumn Leaves. Ink is Palette Burnt Umber. Title lettering is Prima.
Monday, November 24, 2008
- "slept in" until about 7:30
- realized I still had no voice!
- got up and got ready and helped get the kids ready
- George dropped Kyle and I off at school before he and Nathan headed off to an eye appt
- Kyle went into class
- I went to a meeting with the principal, but didn't stay long since I can't talk
- hung out at home for a bit with a coffee and the computer and enjoyed the quiet
- George and Nathan got home and George went to pick up Kyle
- Nathan down for a nap
- George and Kyle head out for some errands
and THEN, I get a call from work at 1:10...
Tara (the manager): "Did you know you were supposed to work at 1?"
Me: "Oh *$#*! NO!"
So, this was me calling George to come home so I could rush off to work! Thank goodness he wasn't far away! And then I get to work and get nothing but grief! Oh well, there's a first time for everything and tomorrow is another day! Maybe it's a good thing I'm working from home!
Well, better get some sleep here...
Sunday, November 23, 2008
I went and babysat my niece and nephew last night and that went well. Sophia first wanted her mum and dad and then wanted to go to bed at 6:30! Once she got over that though, we had a good time and I got both he and Matthew to bed and hung out and watched TV a bit and did a few things on the computer over there.
I did actually go to work today as well. I feel fine other than the fact that I feel like I'm whispering! It was the running joke all day at work. I got some jobs accomplished and managed to help a few people too, so it was fine. Of course, Tara joked half the day that she she was enjoying it like this with me not being able to talk! Very funny!
Another week starting again tomorrow! I swear I don't know where the time's going these days! I'm supposed to be going in to see the principal at Kyle's school tomorrow to help out as long as she still wants me with no voice! George is home and he has a doctor's appt, so he's going to take Nathan with him. I'm hoping to get some creating done too as I have more Christmas cards to make and classes to prep right now!
Better run and get some sleep!
Saturday, November 22, 2008
This one is definitely my fav of the 2 and really seems to show a little of his personality somehow. The photographer even managed to get little smile out of him!
He just looks like such a big boy in this one! I can't believe he's really in Kindergarten and cant imagine him starting full-time school next year for Grade 1! The wonderful thing is that he really does enjoy going to school and loves his teacher and it's no wonder because she's fabulous! Let's just hope that continues as he goes to school!
Well, off for a busy day today! I'm teaching my Christmas Memories mini album this morning and then working in the store in the afternoon as well. I'm then supposed to be watching my niece and nephew for a few hours this evening too.
Thankfully, after going to bed at 9 last night and getting a good night's sleep, I feel much much better this morning though my cold certainly isn't gone yet. I think my cold is moving into my ears and chest, but at least that's better for me than the raging headache and runny nose!
Better get a move on here since I want a little extra time to set up before class! Have a fabulous Saturday!
Friday, November 21, 2008
The best parts about this project were that
- we used pretty much only scraps from my scrap files for this
- we just used random pictures I had already developed that were on my table
- Kyle did most of this himself
- we got to spend time doing it together
- my parents were totally surprised when they got it and absolutely loved it!
I made it through another seemingly neverending day being sick with 3 kids! I was pretty much done by the time George got home and I was thankful he picked up pizza! I was also thankful that one of the girls covered for me at work tonight because there's no way I could've worked until midnight and then taught in the morning. As it is, I'm hoping my nose copperates tomorrow! I'm off to bed now as a matter of fact!
Thursday, November 20, 2008
The good thing is that Grey's was a good one tonight! Well, that and I got some great cuddles today from my little man!
Here's a healthy Friday!
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Just another hanging out kind of day with the kids - Kyle needs to go to school, chores need to be done, dinner needs to be made, etc. The nice thing is that the weather is actually OK again by the looks of things, so that makes for a much nicer day all around. I'm afraid it might be a long day with Sophia since she went to bed late and was up early, but we can only wait and see! I need to get a layout finished off as well today and Criminal Minds is on tonight to look forward to!
Hope you have a fabulous day!!
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Kyle: It's (the hood) almost like a campfire for your ears!
He says the most hilarious things these days that catch me totally off guard and make me laugh. They make so much sense and allow me to see life through his eyes at least a little! It's a wonderful reminder sometimes that life doesn't always have to be so complicated.
Look around today and check things out from a different perspective!
Monday, November 17, 2008
Just a reminder to any of you that are local that there are a few spaces left in my Holiday Memories Mini Album class at Precious Memories! Call 604-530-2917 and register today!!
Sunday, November 16, 2008
4 THINGS I WAS DOING 10 YEARS AGO
1) I was living in downtown Vancouver and loving it.
2) I owned a little green Mazda sports car.
3) I was single!
4) I was teaching ESL downtown at Modus and making some fabulous friends!
4 THINGS ON MY TO-DO LIST FOR TODAY
1) have a biiiiiig cup of coffee since the kids are up early
2) get a tutorial to Kerryn for the Scrapdango newsletter
3) hand out with George and the kids
4) talk to mum and dad about dinner tomorrow
4 RANDOM THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MY HUSBAND
1) He's spontaneous.
2) He's funny/silly.
3) He's amazing with the boys.
4) He loves surprising me.
4 JOBS I HAVE HAD
1) bussing tables
2) working in a convenience store/gas station
3) managing a women's clothing store
4) teaching in Japan and Vancouver
4 MOVIES I HAVE WATCHED MORE THAN ONCE
2) When Harry Met Sally
3) 4 Weddings and a Funeral
4) Dr Zhivago
4 PLACES I HAVE BEEN
4 PLACES I WANT TO VISIT
4) England/Scotland (OK, yes, I know that 2!)
4 TV SHOWS I WATCH
2) Criminal Minds
3) Grey's Anatomy
4) The Young and the Restless
4 THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT ME
1) I watch Coronation Street religiously
2) I have to have International Delight French Vanilla creamer in my coffee at home
3) I wear my mum's first wedding band 24/7. (She had a new one made with my great grandma's diamonds when she inherited them) I started when I went to Japan to have a piece of my parent's with me all the time and I haven't taken it off since.
4) I have a tendency to get migraines, so I go to a massage therapist once a month for preventative treatment.
Think this would make a fun layout too! Have to think about that!
Saturday, November 15, 2008
A little layout about Nathan and how I'm enjoying spending some time with him alone these days while Kyle is at school since he's growing so quickly.
Friday, November 14, 2008
This was Kyle reading his printing book with little poems in it to Nathan the other afternoon for the millionth time that day! He was very proud...
These last two are of mu y nephew Matthew with Nathan in the one above and Kyle in the one below. The boys always want to hold Matthew when he comes to visit!
Well, better run and finish getting ready! Have a great night everyone!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
This is a fairly simple project and you don't need much in the way of supplies, but if you're like me and like to have things in front of you, then it's a project well worth doing!
I got everything I needed at IKEA:
- a shelf that will hold a reasonable amount of weight (and check to make sure it holds what you're going to need!)
- a bar of some kind to mount on the bottom of the shelf
- hooks with clips to go on the bar
It's pretty simple really. Just add the bar to the bottom of the shelf where you're going to want it and then mount your shelf to the wall. Add your clips to the bar and start organizing! I did get some other clips for this (at Zellers) that I think I like better than the small IKEA ones only because they turn and you can add more stuff on the bar than with the IKEA ones. And that's it - you simply start filling it up with all your wonderful scrappy stuff and it's right there in front of you!
Well, I'd better go run and get some things done here since we have a full day planned with school for Kyle this morning to start. I need to do a load of laundry and get lunches ready before I pick him up too. Mum is coming sometime this morning and then we're off to drop the boys at my in-laws and go for tea at the Secret Garden Tea Company - an annual tradition!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Tracy came and dropped Sophia off and brought me my Tim's coffee and TimBits for the kids to share. Then, we all walked up to the school to drop Kyle off since it wasn't pouring rain. We came back and had a little visit before she headed off home with Matthew.
The little ones and I hung out, but it seemed like it was time to get Kyle before we knew it! The kids had lunch and Sophia and Nathan went for their naps and Kyle and I hung out. He wanted to read to me from his printing book because they have little poems for each letter of the alphabet and he's quite proud!
I woke Sophia up and Brian called and said he was on his way not too long after, so when they left at about 4, I started on dinner, which we're going to have shortly and is one of my favs: Broccoli Cheese Soup! The recipe I use is a fabulous one from Looney Spoons and it's called "It's Only Brocc 'n Bowl". I'll try and get the recipe posted since it fabulous, delicious and easy!
Not much going on tonight. Might pop into work for my cheque and run a couple of errands. Going for tea at the Secret Garden with mum, Trace and my aunt tomorrow as well, so that should be a nice afternoon!
Have a fantastic evening!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
This is one of those days when we all just need to take a moment to be thankful to the men and women that serve and have served our country no matter how you may feel about the wars they're fighting in. I have 2 grandfathers that fought and though I was too young to hear the stories from them personally (we lost both of them to cancer when I was young), I have heard them through other family members and I'm very proud of them. I'll also be thinking of my amazing dad today who I'm proud to say was a Canadian peacekeeper in his younger days. I love all of you...
I was also going back and rereading a post from last year and had a flood of Remembrance Day emotions come back to me.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow.
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn,
saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved,
and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
I'm not one who can say she supports war, but I can fully appreciate the sacrifice of the men and women and their families that have fought and are fighting and I'll be thinking of all of you today...
Monday, November 10, 2008
Nathan and I hung out at home and got ourselves dresses and ready to go. When it was time to pick Kyle up, we all decided to go for a walk since it was so nice. Nathan wanted to hold our hands and swing, so he would count and we'd swing him! The kids played at the school for a bit and it was home for lunch and naps. I made a few cards, but took them into work tonight and forgot to get pictures of them! Had fun playing though.
Went into work early and finished off the prep I needed to do for class. I was supposed to have 6 people and then one of my co-workers, but one woman unfortunately couldn't make it, so I had 6 total. A wonderful group of people and we got the Christmas Boxed Up class done even though we ran a few minutes late. Amy (one of my bosses) was also nice enough to get me a Starbucks coffee tonight to help keep me going! Thanks Amy!
One more day off for Remembrance Day tomorrow, but I think I'm about ready for bed now...
Sunday, November 09, 2008
Speaking of cards, thought I'd post a couple that were actually for a crop we had at Scrapdango for National Card Making Day a while ago! I just never got them posted. The challenge for the first one was to use one of the PageMaps card sketches and for the second, it was to use clipart or some digi elements on your card.