Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lest We Forget...

Today is one of those days that it's so very important to be thankful for the country we live in and the freedom we have.  I think what a lot of people often forget is the sacrifice of the men and women of our country both now and in the past.  I'm not a proponent of war, but also a realist.  I understand the complexities of the world we live in and am thankful that there are men and women willing to serve in the military for Canada.

I'm also very proud to say that my dad served overseas as a UN peacekeeper.  He walked in the parade today and I wish I'd been there to see him decked out in his new blazer with his medals.  Maybe next year when Nathan isn't sick!  I think this day means more to our family as the boys get older and we're able to talk about this a little more as well.  I'm really proud of the members of our family who have served.

This was probably one of the most emotional days of my teen years and you can read about it in a post I did a couple of years ago.  I'm reminded of this moment in time and my grandfather every year on this day...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow.
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn,
saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved,
and now we lie
In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Here's to the men and women representing us right now as well as their families.    Thank you...

1 comment:

Alexis said...

HUG!!