Friday, May 04, 2007

The Grass is Always Greener

As I was watching the 2 hour Grey's Anatomy last night, one of the themes that kept coming back to me is that "the grass is always greener on the other side". Is it simply human nature that we want whatever we don't have rather than being thankful and appreciative for what we do have? The main character Meredith also talked about "dreaming" and how we always seem to be striving for something in the future and when we get there, the dream simply changes instead of being able to savour the accomplishment and the being "there".

Don't get me wrong, I know how lucky I am to be at home taking care of my boys (and now Sophia) and I'm thankful for it, but I won't deny there are the "what if" days. What if I went back to work? What if I had had kids when I was younger? What if I had met George 5 years earlier? What if we had more money? What if... I'm beginning to think that these two words should never enter our vocabulary because the fact is that discussing that doesn't change your reality. You either make a decision to do something different or count your lucky stars that you have what you do.

I think sometimes as adults we also forget how to "dream". It becomes about things rather than about an accomplishment. I feel like my life right now is in an interesting state of flux because I really do enjoy what I'm doing now, but what will I be doing next year? 5 years from now? 10 years from now? I can't answer that and I think that's actually a good thing for me - the planner. I have to let go a little and let things happen and make decisions as they do rather than trying to plan everything. I also have to remind myself that everyone has days that we wonder why we do what we do and that even though I'm looking after the kids and think I shouldn't feel that way, that it's normal! Not every day is going to be perfect, but there are always things to be grateful, so it's about finding them!

Take a little time to be thankful today for what you have! Leave a comment about what itnis you're thankful for today! I know the first thing I'm thankful for today is that I got a little time to myself this morning.

Cheers,
Colleen

8 comments:

Vee said...

i so don't like the izzie.george thing
poor callie, love her!!
have a great weekend!!

Yellow Fence said...

I am thankful for my son. Even when he is cranky and teething. Great post!

Shannon

Pat said...

Wonderful post, Colleen. I am so thankful for my family.

Melissa said...

so true the what if's in life sometimes get the best of us. great post

I am thankful for my health and my family

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for YOU! I am so thankful that I have such a great sister who does such a wonderful job of looking after my daughter when I am at work. I know some days you still feel like you have more things to accomplish in your life but when you look back you'll never be sorry that you spent this time with your boys! And I am the lucky benefactor of you making that decision. Thank you for all that you do for my family!

Bonita Rose said...

SUCH A GREAT POST.. loved it... I am thankful for my husband. He loves me... for me. And he loves my children. I am so so blessed.

Danisha said...

My pastor talked about this last week, and it has stuck with me as well. We should be thankful in ALL things!

Joƫlle said...

I loved your post, Colleen. I think your reflections resonate in all of us, because we all have those "what if" struggles.

I am so thankful for my boys, my family and friends, for the job I have (even though I don't always love it), our home.

We are so very blessed.